Finally, I am so honoured to see so many great people giving back to society. One of these great people is Thandiwe Muriu. She is an amazing photographer I 1st saw featured by my friend; photographer Mutua Matheka ( I know famous people too :-)). Her portraiture is unparalleled & it is an honour to feature her on the blog.
We will be doing some joined Imani Initiative classes together with Thandiwe & she will be talking about her portraiture & you have a chance to ask her any question pertaining her photography. The training is absolutely free of charge. The 1st class will be taking place at the CBD on Monday (5th November). To reserve a spot kindly send me an email to email@example.com. Will fill you in on locations & timing.
I took the time to ask Thandiwe some tacky questions…listen to what she had to say about them 🙂 the images featured are some of her work.
Before we begin the interview, may I clarify two of the most common incorrect assumptions people make about me and my photography?
I’m Kenyan (I just happen to have a South African name) and I am a self taught photographer.
1. What is the silliest thing you ever did growing up?
My sisters and I once tried to hatch chicken eggs that our grandmother gave us by wrapping them in thick blankets. My wonderful grandmother was kind enough to tell us after 2days of trying that no matter how hard we tried, the eggs wouldn’t hatch. It’s a wonder we didn’t try to sit on them ourselves!
2. Granted any 3 wishes, what would they be?
1)That my Nikon D7000 would magically transform into a Nikon D4
2) That all my closest friends would live in the same country (they’re scattered across an assortment of countries).
3) That I would get to tour the world!
3. Biggest mistake a guy would make on your 1st date?
Trying to impress me with his money.
4. Favourite movie & character of all time?
I really enjoyed Inception. The storyline and soundtrack were phenomenal. I still listen to the soundtrack all the time when I’m editing.
Favorite movie character is difficult. Can I get away with saying some of my favorite actors? Denzel Washington and Sandra Bullock.
5. If you would write your autobiography, what would its title be?
Thandiwe Muriu- proving that Kenyan’s do it best.
6. Your 3 most favourite people in the entire world?
This is a difficult question. Picking just 3people is tough!
1) My sisters. I would do ANYTHING for them.
2) My mentor who has always pushed and encouraged me.
3) My crazy friend from high school called Shradha! She taught me to see the bright side of life.
A special mention must go to my Jack Russell Bolt. He’s a daily source of entertainment and humour in my life!
7. If not a photographer, who else would you be in this life?
An interior designer. I have always been fascinated by how they are able to transform ordinary rooms into beautiful creations.
8. Paint us a picture of the Thandiwe, 5 years from now.
In 5yrs I would love to be known across Africa for my incredible lighting in every photograph I capture. I’d also want to be known for leading a group of young, skilled, highly professional photographers who produce photography that is out of the ordinary and up to international standards.
I have a heart for education so I’d also want to be known as the woman who takes children to school.
9. What would you not be caught wearing?
Fishnet stockings! Even if you paid me a million dollars…
10. 3 Qualities of your dream date?
Hahaha! I’m tempted to pretend I didn’t hear this question.
1) A growing Christian
2) Self aware
To see more of Thandiwe’s work you can like her fan page here.
**All images here are intellectual property of Thandiwe Muriu & are not to be used without her permission & authorisation.